LAOAG CITY, Jan. 25 (PIA) - Ilocos Norte’s first private non-sectarian school, the Northwestern University, is marking its 80th anniversary with a five-day parade of events beginning on Thursday, January 25.
The five-day festivities will include a Diana, motorcade around the city and setting up of booths at the university grounds on Day One.
Other event highlights include traditional games among teachers and students, quiz bee, awards ceremonies and educational forum
As a way of giving back to the community, the school will hold day-long medical and dental missions, a legal clinic, business consultancy and jobs fair on February 2.
Previously known as Northwestern Academy, the school has come a long way from a mere pioneering institution that helped shaped the province’s leaders that have occupied and remain seated in important public and private positions.
The school was incorporated in 1932 by an enterprising group of educators composed of Angel Albano, Cresencio Barangan, Maximo Caday, Manuela Romero, Rufina Mariano and Nicolas Nicolas who merely pooled their hard-earned savings to put up and incorporate the first private academy.
The operation of the school was interrupted in 1945-1948 with the outbreak of World War II. Upon resumption, a 12 room building, the first it can call its own was constructed to accommodate the influx of students.
In 1949, the academy became Northwestern College with Apolinario Aquino as President. Opening of new courses followed namely Associate in Surveying, Bachelor of Laws, BS Commerce, Technical Engineering, Industrial Education, Master of Arts in Education, BS Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.The purchase of a nine-hectare lot and the construction of the Science and Engineering building were landmarks in the institutions growth and progress.
With the acquisition of the lot, the dream of the incorporators for the institution to become a university began to take shape.
On November 3, 1992, Northwestern University was granted university status with Jose G. Castro as the first University President.
The school had since become among the top private schools in the Ilocos Region offering various programs from Criminology, Nursing, Political Science Technology, Arts and Sciences, Commerce, Education, Engineering.
New course designed to meet the demands of the time were offered in 1990, namely: BS in Accountancy, BS Computer Science, Two-Year Computer Secretarial, One-Year Craftsman (Civil), Practical Electricity, One-Year Computer Technician, BSE major in Library Science.
In 1991, a permit to operate a program leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) major in Development Education was issued. Permits to operate a 2-year course in General Radio Communication Operator and Midwifery were also granted the same year followed by the opening of Doctor of Education; Master of Arts in Nursing; Master of Arts in Public Administration; Master in Business Administration; BS in Chemical Engineering; BS in Geodetic Engineering; BS in Marine Engineering; BS in Marine Transportation; BS in Architecture; BS in Mathematics; BS in Industrial Technology; BS in Commerce major in Entrepreneurship; Management Accounting; Banking and Finance; BS in Secretarial Administration; Bachelor of Arts major in Mass Communication; BS in Hotel and Restaurant Management; BS Tourism; BS in Physical Therapy; and Nursery and Kindergarten.
Research and Community Extension became the priority thrusts in SY 1998-1999. The University Center for Research was put up.
In 2002, government recognition to offer BS in Medical Technology was issued. In 2003, BS in Industrial Engineering and MS Management Engineering programs were given government recognition. A year after, permit to operate programs leading to the degree in BS Radiologic Technology and BS Environmental Studies were granted.
At the threshold of the 21st century NWU applied and subjected itself to an international auditing agency, the Anglo-Japanese American (AJA) Registrars Inc. Having met the stringent requirements, NWU holds the distinction of being the first educational institution in the province to be granted International Standard Organization) ISO-9001/1994 certificate and later granted ISO 9001-2000 certificate.
A major achievement of great significance was the grant of Deregulated Status to the university by the Commission on Higher Education in 2003. It was also in the same year that it forged an international sisterhood relationship with Sangmyung University, Korea.
In 2004, a 35,000 sq. meter lot in Payas, San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte and a 14,633 sq. meter lot in Nalbo, Laoag City were acquired that will serve as the future site of the Research and Community Extension Center.
A Worship Center and the Alumni House were also constructed in the same year, which are indications of Northwestern University’s unrelenting efforts in expanding and strengthening its services. (ANL/CCA-PIA 1 Ilocos Norte)