MANILA -- In order to reduce firecracker injuries, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Thursday urged local government units (LGUs) to set up a common area for fireworks display to welcome the New Year.
"Ang gawin na lang natin ay I will enjoin the LGUs, instead of allowing our people to have their own firecrackers, gumawa na lang kayo ng magandang fireworks display para sa inyong mga constituent," Marcos said in a chance interview after leading the distribution of Christmas gifts and livelihood aid to children and families in Manila.
Marcos warned Filipinos about the dangers and health effects of firecracker use, particularly those that result from reckless and indiscriminate use of dangerous firecrackers.
"Huwag muna tayong magpaputok at alam naman natin kung minsan delikado ‘yan. Lalo ngayon at maglalabas sila ng mga paputok na hindi natin alam kung saan galing, kung maayos ang pagkagawa,” Marcos pointed out.
The Department of Health (DOH) earlier noted a downward trend in firecracker-related injuries in the country, citing figures in recent years.
DOH Officer-in-Charge (OIC) and Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, in a forum on Tuesday, said 122 cases were recorded in 2020, while 128 were reported last year.
The Philippine National Police, for its part, ramped up efforts to conduct cyber patrol, confiscation and destruction of banned firecrackers and pyrotechnics to protect the public. (PND)