No. of :

No. of Shares:

Currently viewed by: Marcus Rosit

Do you have a problem with your homeowners’ association? There’s a gov’t agency you can turn to for help

Human Settlements Adjudication Commission-Regional Adjudication Board (HSAC-RAB) XII chief legal officer, Atty. Nancy Jermae Cajes told the Philippine Information Agency that they are enhancing their information campaign to raise public awareness of the agency's mandates. For this endeavor, Cajes said they will be tapping the PIA and local media as well as maximizing the use of social media.

KORONADAL CITY (PIA) -- Did you know that there is a government agency tasked to real estate disputes?

The Human Settlements and Adjudication Commission (HSAC) is a quasi-judicial body that hears and addresses complaints involving condominiums, subdivisions, memorial parks, and other real estate developments, including homeowners’ association (HOA).

Nancy Jermae Cajes, chief of the legal division of the HSAC Regional Adjudication Board (RAB) XII, described as the right agency tasked with resolving housing-related disputes, ensuring fair adjudication processes, and protecting the rights of individuals involved in housing issues.

“HSAC is judicatory. If there are problems with homeowners, developers, and other stakeholders and cases are filed, we handle that kasi quasi-judicial body kami,” she explained.

According to the official, HSAC was reconstituted from the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board (HLURB) by virtue of Republic Act No. 11201.

Its services encompass a wide range of real estate concerns, including mediation and arbitration of disputes between homeowners and developers, facilitation of amicable settlements between parties, and avoiding lengthy and costly legal battles.

A regional personnel of the Human Settlements and Adjudication Commission-Regional Adjudication Board assisted a client that sought legal advice for a housing issue during a housing summit in General Santos City. (Photo courtesy of HSAC-RAB XII)

From January to October, Cajes said they had already handled seven cases.

“As of this moment, we have catered to seven cases. Four are already disposed of or resolved; two are pending for resolutions and one was filed just a few weeks ago,” she said.

Cajes noted that there are fewer cases filed in Soccsksargen, maybe because there are no problems with real estate development projects or because people don’t know what to do or where to file their complaints.

She asserted HSAC’s mandate of catering to cases involving flawed real estate business practices that cause prejudice or harm, claims for refunds, and other claims filed by a subdivision lot or condominium unit buyer against the project owner, developer, dealer, broker, or salesman, and others.

Aside from this, HSAC-RAB XII also handles controversies on the registration and regulation of HOAs, intra-association disputes, or controversies arising from the relations between and among members of HOAs, among others.

Human Settlements and Adjudication Commission-Regional Adjudication Board XII joined other key shelter agencies under the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development in an information caravan for homeowners' associations in Koronadal City. (Photo courtesy of HSAC-RAB XII)

Cajes advised individuals to visit their office at Arellano and Balmores Streets, Brgy. Zone II in Koronadal City, or call (083) 8220630. They can also contact the agency by sending a message through its Facebook page: Human Settlements Adjudication Commission RAB No. XII at (ORVR – PIA Region 12)

About the Author

Harlem Jude Ferolino

Job Order

Region 12

Feedback / Comment

Get in touch